Sunday, March 18, 2007

No redundancy





Hm, making a logo as the first assignment took me not little time but at least I knew exactly what I intended to do. This time I feel as if I dropped in the ocean of information on the Internet, which makes me hesitate over new posts for such a long time. I finally decide to tell you about my inspiration got from my ordinary life instead of trying to show something that I haven’t been actually attracted :D. Perhaps it’s not really impressive but I hope that you’ll be patient enough to enjoy them all:x.

I have a habit of reading all the information ( not the trademark but many lines on the back of the bottle)on the labels of shampoo, shower gel, moisture cream, body lotion, perfume ect when compulsorily spending time in toilet:D. I find it interesting to do the same with medicine and clothes. Information about such products almost comes to people from ads. The first thing that they do to the label of a new shirt usually is have a look at the price and the last one is often throw it away:D.


People often take it for granted but I myself fall in love with that part of design. The fonts, sizes, colors and especially the arrangement of those letters make differences in my feeling. Black and white are two most popular colors that are used for this part of label. They bring about feeling of legacy and reliability. Sans Serif with very small size is often used. The change in fonts is really skillful. I like the appearance of some words, for instance, Charming on Enchanteur’s label or DRY on Fa’s label. I can feel sweet fragrance and cleanness just through the power of those icons.

I used to wonder why designers still mention advertising information besides compulsory one (ingredients, expiration, ect) while they know that too many tiny letters will make consumers lazy to read them. After some comparisons between some labels of my mother’s cosmetics, it turned out to be that a few letters on this part of a label reduce my trust in quality of them even though it seemed to have more chances to be read than the opposite:D.

Those information as part of the label is neatly arranged often in the back of the box or bottle (separating from the trademark) with enough negative space around it. Information about website, telephone number and logo is emphasized by lying in a small box or being changed in size or effects. However the designer isn’t allowed to forget to keep unity.
That’s just some of my feelings, nothing special. I just want to share with you my interest in smoothly eliding those tiny letters, which I also consider artworks of designers.

No comments: