Sunday, July 8, 2007

Lines create feelings


Last week, after enjoying a lesson about design process with unforgettable example of Bitis:D, I was asked to create some buttons for a photographer’s website. I thought about them nearly four days and tried to follow steps of the process. Honestly, each time creating something like this before, I just thought a little bit and felt so eager and aggressive to start using my software. Hence, this time, it’s rather difficult for me to do it in a serious way. I don’t know anything about the photographer and his work. I just use my imagination and my experience to create these buttons.

I sketched many drafts in my notebook and was nearly dissatisfied with all of them. Finally I started with Illustrator. I don’t know why I just wanted to use lines instead of shapes in this case. Perhaps, lines can effectively bring both stability (of the mountain, the nose of the face, the relationship after wedding) and movement (of the river, the smile on the face, the harmony of a couple) in these different content buttons. I intended to use brush tool to create lines in a natural way. Unlike before, Chalk scribble is my favorite choice, this time I used Charcoal thin on purpose coz’ in the natural lines, I still want everything sharp.

First, I intended to draw something abstract and impressive, but then , I thought about wedding photos, something familiar to ordinary life, where ordinary people can enjoy them. I changed my thought. I want to combine both images and type so that every viewer can enjoy them. The idea began from the first button. I found the letter “L” in the image of the mountain and the letter “S” in the image of the river so that they can create the word landscape. The next two buttons are made according to some original drafts, however, majority of this creation is due to the mood:D. You can see how I created the letter “P” and the letter “ W” in them. I automatically thought about a script font to do the rest. Just a script font with the suitable degree of inclining can continue the mood of those lines. I tried some fonts and finally chose Edwardian Script ITC, regular and size 43. Remember not to stretch them:D

The background of the button is gradient coz’ it serves my request, the gentleness and anger in landscape photos, the mystery of each human face and the sacred feelings of the marriage.

I don’t know the accurate website, the photographer and his photos, therefore I just created these buttons leaning on my feeling and guessing :D. If you think I should change something to make them better, feel free to leave me a comment:X

No comments: